Steven J. Olsen
Email | Phone: 574-533-1171
Steven J. Olsen is a partner at Yoder Ainlay Ulmer & Buckingham, LLP. Mr. Olsen is also an adjunct professor at Goshen College where he teaches Business Law to undergraduate students. Prior to joining Yoder Ainlay Ulmer & Buckingham, LLP, Mr. Olsen taught at the Valparaiso University, College of Business, (2007-2010) including the following classes: Legal Environment of Business (undergraduate), Success Skills and Business Etiquette (undergraduate), Legal Brand Management (MBA), and Entrepreneurial Consulting (MBA). During his legal education, Mr. Olsen served as a federal judicial summer clerk for Magistrate Judge Andrew P. Rodovich in the United States District Court of the Northern District of Indiana and as an in-house counsel legal extern for ArcelorMittal in Chicago, Illinois. Prior to entering the legal field, Mr. Olsen worked in managerial roles and as a marketing consultant. Mr. Olsen combines his business acumen with his understanding of the law to provide a more complete review of his client's unique circumstances.
Areas of practice
His practice includes the following legal areas:
- Intellectual Property Law*
- Trade Secrets
- Business/Corporate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business Formation and Organization
- Business Development and Planning
- Business Dispute Resolution
- General Corporate
- Employment Law
- Employment Agreements
- Contractor Agreements
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Employee Benefits
- Employee Dispute Resolution
- General Employee Rights
- Real Property Law
- Purchase and Sale of Real Estate
- Leasing of Commercial and Residential Real Estate
- Landlord and Tenant Law
- Land Acquisition and Planning
- Land Planning and Zoning
- Easement and License Agreements
- Mortgages and Credit Agreements
- Covenants, Restrictions, and Associations
- Property Dispute Resolution
- General Real and Personal Property Matters
- Governmental Law
- Local Government
- Interlocal Agreements
- Government Contracts
- Condemnation Matters
*Mr. Olsen is not admitted to the Patent Bar.
Mr. Olsen received his J.D., summa cum laude, as the valedictorian of the Valparaiso University School of Law class of 2010. He was an editor of the Law Review and a justice of the Moot Court Honor Society. In 2009, he earned an MBA graduating from Valparaiso University with highest distinction and earning graduate honors, Beta Gamma Sigma. He earned a B.S.B.A., summa cum laude, in Marketing and Management from the University of Central Missouri in 2006 and was designated the Charno Award recipient - top graduating student.
Admissions and professional memberships
Mr. Olsen is admitted to practice law in both Indiana and Michigan. He is a member of the Goshen City Bar, Indiana State Bar, Michigan State Bar, and American Bar Associations.
Mr. Olsen has served his community through involvement with the following organizations:
- ISBA American Citizenship, Committee Member
- Goshen Public Library, Member of the Board of Trustees (Past President)
- Goshen City Bar Association, Board Member and Vice President
- Goshen Academic Partners, Advisory Board Member
- Goshen Chamber of Commerce, Education Committee Member
- Five Star, Coach
- Real Men Read, Participant
- Reading Camps, Participant
Mr. Olsen is also actively involved in his church.
Publications & Presentations
Mr. Olsen's publications include:
- Property: To Share or Not to Share, The Credit Professional (Spring 2017).
- Confidentiality Provisions and the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016, YAUB E-Alert (June 2016).
- Understanding the Heritage of Our Community, Leading Business (Dec. 2013).
- The Ethical Ramifications of Developing Online Leads, ABA Bus. L. Sec. Young Law. Comm. Newsl. (Aug. 2013)
- Protecting Religious Identity with American Trademark Law, 12 Chi.-Kent J. Intell. Prop. 129 (2013).
- Company Websites and the Need for Online Privacy Statements, YAUB E-Alert (Mar. 2013).
- Social Media: Are You Linked In?, Ind. St. B. Ass'n Bus. L. Newsl. (Oct. 2012).
- Employer Restrictions on Social Media, YAUB E-Alert (Sept. 2012).
- E-Verify in Indiana, YAUB E-Alert (Sept. 2011).
- Comparative Advertising in the Internet Age: Understanding Current E-Commerce Forms of Trademark Use, ABA Landslide J., Issue 2.6 (2010).
- Mixed Signals in Trademark's "Likelihood of Confusion Law": Does Quality Matter?, Note, 44 Val. U.L. Rev. 659 (2010).
Mr. Olsen's presentations include:
- Digital Communication: Friend or Foe?, Continuing Legal Education Course (Dec. 2017).
- Indiana State Bar Association Presenter, Naturalization Ceremony for Northern District of Indiana (2011 to 2016).
- Ethical Issues of Electronic Communications and Digital Marketing, Continuing Legal Education Course (Dec. 2016).
- Legal Brand Management and Ethical Concerns, Continuing Legal Education Course (Oct. 2016).
- Property Ownership: Individual, Joint, or Other, Credit Professionals International (Oct. 2016)
- Legal Ethics Online and in Social Media, Continuing Legal Education Course (Dec. 2015).
- Practical Application of Ethical Concerns, Continuing Legal Education Course (July 2015).
- The Ethics of Practicing Law in a Digital Age, Continuing Legal Education Course (Feb. 2014).
- Ethical Concerns of Digital Leads, Continuing Legal Education Course (Oct. 2013).
- Social Media: Public Employees, Elkhart County Supervisory Training (Sept. & Oct. 2013).
- Social Media: Are you Linked In?, Continuing Legal Education Course (Sept. 2012).
- Social Media from an HR Perspective, Goshen Human Resources Network (June 2012).
- The Legal Impact of Social Media on Business, YAUB Seminar for Executives (Nov. 2011).
Contact the firm
When you need an attorney, call the law offices of Yoder Ainlay Ulmer & Buckingham, LLP, at 574-533-1171, or contact the firm online. Conveniently located across the street from the courthouse in Goshen, Indiana, the firm regularly assists clients with a broad range of legal issues. Return to Attorney Profiles