Nathaniel M. Jordan
Email | Phone: 574-533-1171
Nathaniel M. Jordan is a partner at Yoder Ainlay Ulmer & Buckingham, LLP, where he focuses on general trial practice.
Areas of practice
Mr. Jordan represents clients in state and federal court, both at the trial level and on appeal. He also regularly assists clients with responses to documentary requests and subpoenas. As part of his practice, Mr. Jordan has argued before the Indiana Supreme Court and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
His primary areas of litigation include:
Mr. Jordan received a J.D. from Boston College Law School in 2002 and received a B.A. from Goshen College in 1998.
Admissions and professional memberships
Mr. Jordan was admitted to the Indiana State Bar in 2002. He is a member of the following associations:
Mr. Jordan is admitted to practice in:
Mr. Jordan's reported cases include:
- Canen v. Chapman, 847 F.3d 407 (7th Cir. 2017).
- Rice ex rel. Rice v. Corr. Med. Servs., 675 F.3d 650 (7th Cir. 2012).
- DeWalt v. Greencroft Goshen, Inc., 902 F. Supp. 2d 1127 (N.D. Ind. 2012).
- Bellows v. Bd. of Comm’rs of Elkhart, 926 N.E.2d 96 (Ind. Ct. App. 2010).
- Hochstetler v. Elkhart County Highway Dept., 868 N.E.2d 425 (Ind. 2007).
Recent Publications and Presentations
Mr. Jordan's recent publications include:
- Federal Court Blocks Department of Labor Wage and Hour Regulatory Update, YAUB E-Alert (November 2016).
- Supreme Court Protects Job Applicant's Religious Practice, YAUB E-Alert (June 2015).
- Officers Entitled to Qualified Immunity for Detaining Police Sergeant, DRI Today (June 1, 2015, 02:48 EST).
- Section 1981 Does Not Prohibit Religious Discrimination, Holds Seventh Circuit, DRI Today (November 10, 2014, 04:39 EST).
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Decisions Concerning Jury Selection, DRI Today (August 15, 2014, 02:48 EST).
- Seventh Circuit Finds Jury Must Decide Excessive Force Claim, DRI Today (August 8, 2014, 03:10 EST).
- Seventh Circuit Finds Indiana’s Marriage Solemnization Statute Unconstitutional, DRI Today (July 15, 2014, 09:42 EST).
- Seventh Circuit Finds Heck v. Humphrey Does Not Bar Two Section 1983 Claims, DRI Today (July 7, 2014, 03:24 EST).
- 42 U.S.C. § 1981 Does Not Create Private Action against State Actors in Seventh Circuit, DRI Today (May 27, 2014, 06:05 EST).
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment Where Officers Rely on Emergency Detention Statement, DRI Today (May 13, 2014, 08:30 EST).
- Avoiding Discrimination Claims by Treating Similar Employees Equally, YAUB E-Alert (May 2012).
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 Interim Amendments Now Final, YAUB E-Alert (May 2011).
- Beware of the Employee Claim of Third Party Retaliation, YAUB E-Alert (2011).
Mr. Jordan’s presentations include:
- Wage and Hour Fundamentals, With Latest Exemption Updates!, YAUB Seminar (Goshen, Indiana, May 23, 2018).
- Fair Labor Standards Act Update: Wage and Hour Claims, Indiana Civil Rights Commission (Elkhart, Indiana, Aug. 26, 2016).
- Overtime Regulations Update for For-Profit Companies, YAUB Seminar (Goshen, Indiana, July 6, 2016).
- Overtime Regulations Update for Non-Profit Companies, YAUB Seminar (Goshen, Indiana, June 16, 2016).
- Pretrial Motions and Brief Writing, Basic Attorney Training, Elkhart City Bar Association and Elkhart Superior Courts 1 and 2 (Elkhart, Indiana, Dec. 9, 2015).
- Internships and the Fair Labor Standards Act, Goshen Chamber of Commerce HR Network (Goshen, Indiana, April 3, 2014).
- Police Liability in Indiana: Excessive Force under State and Federal Law, Lorman Education Services (South Bend, Indiana, Sept. 19, 2013).
- A Survey of the White-Collar Exemptions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, YAUB Seminar (Goshen, Indiana, Nov. 29, 2011).
- The Family Medical Leave Act in Indiana, Family and Medical Leave Act, Lorman Education Services (South Bend, Indiana, Jan. 25, 2007).
Mr. Jordan is a board member of the Oaklawn Foundation for Mental Health. He has previously served as president of the Goshen City Bar Association and as a board member of the American Heart Association’s Elkhart County Board of Directors.
Mr. Jordan is the publications subcommittee vice chair for DRI’s governmental liability committee and previous newsletter editor for the committee. Volume 21, Issue 1, of the newsletter, published April 10, 2015, is available here. Volume 21, Issue 2, of the newsletter, published August 7, 2015, is available here.
When you need an attorney, call the law offices of Yoder Ainlay Ulmer & Buckingham, LLP at 574-533-1171, or contact the firm online. Conveniently located across the street from the courthouse in Goshen, Indiana, the firm regularly assists clients with a broad range of legal issues.